Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Windows Vista: Day 3 (work)

So today I decided to plug in my wonderful partially disabled (due to Vista incompatibilities) Tablet to the big wide work network and I saw some new activities:
Vista Prompted me to setup a network location as soon as it started because I had wifi on, and being security minded, it offered me the option of Private or Public network (incase you forgot Public means firewall goes up and there is 0 sharing between you and everything else, i.e. you cant see them they cant see you) so on my wifi i set public and then plugged in and shut wifi off...
I have a ip assigned to my Tablet already so thats taken care of (we are a non DHCP location) and as soon as the plug snapped to port up comes the "Choose a new location..." prompt and I choose Private this time and proceed to see the Netowrk shares loading.
Now there is a repository for temporary files that we use to transfer files around, aptly named 1TEMPORARY, this little g4 400 with 80gb drive that sits under my desk is super important to connect to for all users...
guess what?
For some reason Vista wont inout the User and password right directly out of sharing (in its defense I am probably doing something wrong or I need to be more patient) but it kept adding T1501 to the beggining of my username (thats the computer name) and I know i have quite a few pc users on 1TEMP so there has to be away....
Next I tackled the the elusive Flashplayer issue
and with the help of this (http://weblogs.asp.net/derekh/archive/2005/08/16/422743.aspx)
I finally have it running!
Yay....

1 comment:

Erica said...

This is all very fascinating to me...

...NOT!

Haha....seriously, you sound like HAL from 2010, but hey, it's all good.

*mwah*